11-12 November 2021
Call for paper
Border-crossing through Interdisciplinary and Media Studies
The International Network MEMITÀ (Memory&Identity and Media Studies) invites submissions for an upcoming conference, to be held in a hybrid format (in presence, at University of Palermo, and online) in November 2021, related to Border-crossing and Media Studies. Because of the vast approaches which may be adopted towards border-crossing the conference welcomes panels and presentations through interdisciplinary lenses which can focus on one or more (but is not limited to) of the following cultural representations: literature, visual art, history, films and documentaries, languages, etc.
The current global phenomenon of migration represents a continuous movement through the (post-) colonial past and often represents a contemporary diaspora. With a specific focus on media, this conference seeks to explore the phenomena of border-crossings, transnationalism and transculturalism focusing on the 19th – 21st centuries. Because the large impact of the bordercrossing phenomena links with different geographic areas a comparative approach is, also, encouraged.
A non-exhaustive list of possible topics is:
(Post-)coloniality and Borders
Media and Border-crossing
Globalization and Migration
Power and Borders
Politics and Migration
Border-crossing and Gender Studies
Identity and Borders
Art and Border-crossing
Performance and Border-crossing
Language and Borders
The conference will be held at the University of Palermo and considering the pandemic emergency, will have a hybrid format (in presence and online).
The official languages are Italian, English and Spanish. Presentation will be of maximum 20 minutes.
The Q&A session after the presentation can be conducted in the language most comfortable for the presenter and its audience.
Please submit a 200-words abstract (together with a short bio of max 100 words, academic affiliation and e-mail) or complete panel (with all bios) proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org before 30.06.2021. Please indicate, even provisionally, the preferred method of participation (in presence and online). Acceptance of the proposals will be communicated by 15.07.2021.
Possible publication in a collective Volume and in Journal.
– In presence: 70 €; on-line: 40 €
– Network members – in presence: 50 €; on-line: 30 €
Dipartimento di Scienze Umanistiche Complesso di Sant’Antonino – P.zza Sant’Antonino, 1 – 90134 Palermo, Italia Tel.: 0034.091.99252/99233 – email@example.com http://memita.scienzeumanistiche.eu/
Floriana Di Gesù (University of Palermo, Italy)
Assunta Polizzi (University of Palermo, Italy)
Stefania Licata (Converse University, USA)
Ambra Pinello (University of Palermo, Italy)
– Agnieszka Woch (Uniwersytet Łódzki, Poland)
– María Matesanz (Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain)
– Mostafa Ammadi (Université Abdelmalek Essaadi, Morocco)
– Catalina Fuentes (Universidad de Sevilla, Spain)
– Rosa María Mateu (Universitat de Lleida, Spain)
– Oleksandr Pronkevich (Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University, Ukraine)
– Astrid Santana (Universidad de La Habana, Cuba)
– Dolores Thion Soriano-Mollá (Université de Pau et de Pays de L’Adour, France)
– Isabel Duarte (Universidade do Porto, Portugal)
– Enric Bou (Universita’ degli Studi ‘Ca’ Foscari’ di Venezia, Italy)
– Aldina Marques (Universidade do Minho, Portugal)
– Tzina Kalogirou (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece)
– Astrid M. Fellner (Universität des Saarlandes, Germany)
– Germana Volpe (Universita’ degli Studi ‘L’Orientale’ di Napoli, Italy)
– Jorge Latorre (Universidad Rey Juan Carlos de Madrid, Spain)
– Segundo Anacona (Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana de Medellín, Colombia)
– Teresa Fiore (Montclair State University, USA)